Thursday, July 21, 2011

Riding :)

Until purchasing Kenney 2 months ago it had been 4 years since I'd had a horse. Even with Rocket being as big of a pain as he was, I still enjoyed being able to go out to the barn whenever I wanted and just hang out. Riding was like therapy to me, and I have missed it SO much!

Since selling Rocket I have said that my #1 requirement in my next horse would be personality. Of course I had other things on my wish list too, but to me it wouldn't matter how much training a horse had if he wasn't fun to be around.

After two months of owning Kenney I can honestly say I succeeded -- he has one of the best personalities of any horse I've ever met! He keeps me smiling all the time, and genuinely loves being around people.

On top of his personality, he also has the perfect amount of training for what I'm wanting to do right now -- he knows just as much as do, so I can go out and ride by myself (without lessons), work on the skills that I'm sure have suffered a bit of neglect over the past 4 years, and not get bored.

I'm having so much fun coming home after each ride and finding articles online to help me work on different things we're having trouble with, or stopping in the middle of a ride and thinking through all the things I know Lisa would say if she was there.

Since I'm not really trying to learn anything new, I have confidence that I'm not going to teach myself or Ken any bad habits... and I know that being able to get my skills back up to speed will REALLY help me when I do get ready to start taking lessons and showing again! My progress by working on my own is definitely a lot slower than by taking lessons... but it gives me something to do and I'm having a lot of fun, which is really all I'm looking to do right now :)

No comments:

Post a Comment